273 Education Way
Salem, WV 26426
Salem Elementary School
273 Education Way
Salem, West Virginia 26426
Phone: (304) 326-7180
Fax: (304) 782-1293
Directions to our school:
From Parkersburg, WV - Route 50 East toward Clarksburg, turn right at the Salem MainStreet exit, travel approximately 1.5 mile, turn left onto Education Way, our school is at the top of the hill.
From Clarksburg, WV - Route 50 West toward Parkersburg, turn left at the Salem Main Street exit, travel approximately 1.5 mile, turn left onto Education Way, our school is at the top of the hill.
October 2018 Newsletter
Parents - i-Ready is an interactive online learning program that helps students build essential skills in reading and mathematics. It provides students with personalized online instruction and gives teachers guidance on how they can best support the needs of each and every student. Speak with your child about how using i-Ready will help him/her prepare for class work. Encourage your child to take each lesson and quiz question seriously. Help your child identify and become familiar with the different parts of the student dashboard. Encourage your child to use the tools that will appear at the botton of the screen in some lessons. Discuss your child's results by looking at "My Progress" together. Contact your child's teacher about how often your child should practice at home. See the Parent Guild to get started!
Why attendance matters
Successful schools begin by engaging students and making sure they come to school regularly. That may seem obvious. What’s less obvious is that the consequences of low attendance are serious for all children and for the community, not just the students who miss school.
The attendance rate is important because students are more likely to succeed in academics when they attend school consistently. It’s difficult for the teacher and the class to build their skills and progress if a large number of students are frequently absent. In addition to falling behind in academics, students who are not in school on a regular basis are more likely to have behavior problems.
School Age Child Care Services provided by the YMCA
The child care program provides a safe, structured environment with plenty of activities to keep your child busy and focused. Some of the activities your child will experience while enrolled in the program are:
Homework help, Crafts, Games, Gym or Outdoor Activities, Nutritious Snack/healthy living
This is offered Monday- Friday 6am – School Start & School Dismissal – 6pm with full day care available on scheduled school closings, delays, early dismissals and inclement weather closings. Financial Assistance may be available to those who qualify. Please Call 304-623-3303
A few other reminders:
* Attendance: It is essential for students to establish a good pattern of daily attendance. If your child is going to be absent, call the school before 8:30am to report the absence and to make arrangements regarding any make-up work. Upon returning to school, students are required to bring a note from a parent or doctor within 3 days of the absence or it will be counted unexcused.
* Student Arrival: Students are admitted into the building at 7:00am. No student should arrive at school before this time.
* Tardy: Students arriving after 7:45am are tardy and must report to the office as soon as they enter the building.
* Dismissal: Complete the WVEIS Student Information Form indicating if your child is to ride a bus or will be picked up from school. This will be the dismissal plan unless changed by
parent note received in the morning on the date the change is to occur. Calls to the office to change dismissal plans should only occur in emergency circumstances. If another child is to be dismissed with your child, a note explaining the plan must be sent in with your child and a note must be received from the other child’s parents granting permission. Both notes are to be sent to the office and require administrative signature and an accompanying bus note if necessary.
* “Walker” Dismissal: PreK will dismiss at 2:15 at the double doors by Pre-K wing. Kindergarten students will be signed out at 2:20pm at the front doors. The remaining walkers will be dismissed promptly at 2:25pm and will exit out of the main doors.
* Visitor Entrance: All visitors must enter the main entrance, immediately report the office, and provide a valid ID to be scanned by the Raptor system before going anywhere in the building. Security is of the upmost importance and attention to security details will help to ensure the safety of all the students and staff. Security cameras are in operations throughout the building for added surveillance.
* Volunteers: To become a volunteer you must be approved by the board of education and cleared by the county office. This includes all party days and field trips.
* Parking Lot: Do not park or block traffic in the bus loop. Park in a parking spot. Stop for all pedestrians and be cautious for children in the parking lot.
October 4th - Apple Butter Festival
October 9th - PTO Meeting at 8:30am
October 10th - WOW Factory comes to Salem Elementary
October 17th - LSIC/Safety meeting starting at 3:00pm
October 18th - Engineering Night 5-7pm - Families invited
October 22nd - 26th Book Fair
October 23rd - Parent/Teacher Conferences 3-6pm and 3hr. delay for students
October 31st - Parade and Fall parties
October 31st - 2 hr. early out