182 School Street
West Milford, WV 26451
West Milford Daily Schedule
7:00 Doors open and first bus arrives
7:10-7:40 Breakfast is served
("Grab-N-Go" Breakfast begins at 7:40)
7:30 Teachers report
7:20 Students dismissed to bus room
7:40 Students dismissed to homeroom
7:50 Tardy bell rings
11:00 First and Second Grade Lunch
11:30 Third and Fourth Grade Lunch
12:00 Fifth and Kindergarten Lunch
2:30 Instructional Day ends
2:30 First bell - Walkers
2:40 Second Bell - Bus
2:50 Late bus students dismissed to the cafeteria
3:00 Teachers are dismissed
A Brief History of West Milford Schools
The first school in West Milford was a one-room building used in the days before the Civil War. This was a subscription school, which meant that parents had to pay the teacher for each subject they wanted their child to learn. After the Civil War, public education laws were passed and schools were paid for with tax money and became available for all children to attend.
With these changes came the need for a new school. In 1867, a two-room schoolhouse was built where our playground is now. There was one teacher for the older students, who also acted as the principal, and one for the younger students.
A four-room schoolhouse was constructed in 1910 and was name West Milford Public School. In 1915 the principal decided to change the name to Unidis and began to add many new classrooms. Unidis served all students from first to twelfth grade until South Harrison High School was opened in 1965. The school was then changed to West Milford Elementary. Sometime in the summer of 1972, the school mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the night and burned to the ground. Luckily, a new school was already being constructed just across the parking lot on the site of the former Unidis football field.
In the fall of 1972, the current West Milford Elementary School opened it’s doors for the first time. There were 14 classrooms and around 300 students. The library had no walls, students had gym in the cafeteria, and the principal was named Mr. Hess. The school colors were blue and white and Hawkeyes became the nickname. Today there are 26 classrooms with nearly 500 students, three computer labs, gym is held in the gym, the library has walls and the principal is Mrs. Kinney. Our colors are now orange and black, but our nickname is still Hawkeyes.