To contact Mrs. Aragona please fill out the form below and submit, thank you.
MRS. ARAGONA'S CLASS
BIG ELM ELEMENTARY ENABLES ALL TO REACH THEIR FULLEST POTENTIAL!
Reading is not a straightforward process of lifting the words off the page. It is a complex process of problem solving in which the reader works to make sense of a text. Recognition of the actual word is not enough on its own.
Understanding what we are reading is key.
We work on all these skills in many different ways.
- PHONEMIC AWARENESS—The knowledge and manipulation of sounds in spoken words
- PHONICS—The relationship between written and spoken letters and sounds.
- READING FLUENCY, INCLUDING ORAL READING SKILLS—The ability to read with accuracy, and with appropriate rate, expression, and phrasing.
- VOCABULARY DEVELOPMENT—The knowledge of words, their definitions, and context.
- READING COMPREHENSION —The understanding of meaning in text.
Ways to help
- Study sight words nightly- Your child needs this skill to read fluently so they can understand what they have read
- Ask your child questions about the text before reading, during reading and after reading- (comprehension)
- Have your child read the text more than once to help with fluency
- Work on vocabulary by- using the text to figure out meaning, reading lots of books to your child and with your child, and talking with your child
One of the best ways that you can help your child at home is by exposing them to numbers in many different ways.
- Play board games with dice
- Sorting and counting
- Breaking groups apart - example - I have 7 gummies bears. I have 3 red bears and 4 green bears
- Putting groups together- example- I have 2 yellow blocks and 3 blue blocks so I have 5 blocks
Work on getting a complete thought down on paper that makes sense. The sentences need a capital letter at the beginning, spaces between words and an ending mark.